Meebo for Blogger

Sunday, September 15, 2013

Responsible

When I was a child, I talked like a child, I thought like a child, I reasoned like a child. When I became a man, I put the ways of childhood behind me.  I Corinthians 13:11 - God
The 9th photo entry for my weekly Self Portrait Journal.  A 52 week glimpse into the attributes of James Olmos.

Week Nine - Responsible

I have failed miserably at setting my childhood ways behind me.  I guess that makes me a huge sinner in God's eyes according to this Bible verse.  I focus on doing what's right and I teach my children to do the right thing as I offer them the "space" to make their own decisions and to either fail or succeed.

I'm a responsible father and I mirror my own father's examples.  He's been caring for my mother who's been recently challenged with health issues.  Dad still finds the space for childlike humor.  Smiles and laughter heal.  And childhood ways should be embraced.

Adulthood does not mean that you need to surrender your gifts.  It does not mean that you allow yourself to become wound so fucking tight that you push out the joys and healing aspects of simplicity.

I encourage you to become five years old again.  Buy a stuffed animal; give it name; and smile.

I love my parents.
From Self Portrait Journal - 52 Project
www.jamesolmos.com

No comments:

Post a Comment